She Ran Away From Home

My maid, who have been working for my family..
For 4 years.. left my house this morning..
I woke up at 9 am to my mom's screaming..
Calling my maid several times and accusing her of leaving without permission again..
Ironically, she did.. This time not returning..


I'll rewind this to about a month and and a half ago..

My mom decided to bring me, my bro and sis out for lunch.. Since my dad is not around.. my mom always use the money in her private savings (AKA leftovers from fees, grocery shopping oversupply and bills that my dad let her keep..) and before she left the house, she left her money in her book.. And when we got back from lunch.. She opened up her book and it was gone.. And my maid, is the only one.. in the house... My mom starts accusing her.. I, on the other hand was thinking maybe my mom misplaced it.. But I never opened up that topic because I know my mom is going to accuse me of taking my maid's side.. And honestly, I'm also kind of suspecting that it was her.. Ever since then, whenever my mom leaves the house.. She locks up her room... And awkwardness seeps around the family... My sis and bro tries to lighten up the mood and slowly the awkwardness fades away... Soo, basically we returned to normal.. except for the locked doors thing..

Okay now I'm going to rewind/fast forward this to 3 weeks ago..

My maid left home to pick up my bro and sis from their tuition centre at 8.30.. Then, at 9.15pm My mom received a call from my sister who is calling from the centre asking who is going to pick them up because my maid is not there.. My mom already got upset because my maid left at 8.30 and all these while assuming that my maid was waiting for my bro and sis.. Soo, I got up from my seat on the sofa and picked up the car keys to go pick 'em up.. As I was bout to leave, I realized my dad's car is outside.. I already realized that this means trouble... My dad is back and I couldn't convince him to let me pick up my brother and sister.. And off he goes.. in 15 mins.. they were back and my maid had a solemn face pasted on her.. Once she reached the front door, she immediately went to her room... I asked my bro and sis what happened.. They explained quickly that my dad picked them up and saw my maid with her friend and loudly asked her to get in the car.. My maid looked scared when she got into the car.. My dad immediately scolded her and banned her from going out ever until her permit expires when she can go home... (Her permit is expiring a month and a half from today.)

Ever since then, whenever I'm going out, I asked her to come with me.. I felt sorry for her.. She's human...

But then, today, 1st July 2011, Saturday

I woke up at 9 am to my mom's screaming..
Calling my maid several times and accusing her of leaving without permission again..
Ironically, she did.. This time not returning..

She left a note..

Assalamualaikum Bu,
Saya minta maaf Bu.. Saya tak boleh duduk sini Bu.. Tak boleh jumpa kawan.. Tak boleh jalan-jalan.. Pa' juga sudah marahi saya.. Saya pergi dgn adik saya.. Maafkan saya ya Bu' dan Pa'...


My mom called my dad.. and they both fought and as usual accusing each other of doing things wrong.. and then my mom says we all have to clean up our bedrooms and help her.. And I had to skip breakfast because as soon as I finished showering, we left for the police station to lodge a report and after that we went to the immigration office.. and only then I can eat.. My bro, who has been "the closest" to my maid is acting like.. I dunno how to describe it... And I snapped him out of it.. Coz we have a lot in our hands right now.. And I dun need anyone to mope around.. I do need someone to mop around though (pun intended).. My mom broke down in the restaurant and crying in the car.. I pretty much just can't let her drive anymore.. I end up saying "Mom! Stop it! We're here, Nobody's dead and we can help.." Once we reached home, I made sure everyone is okay and I sat downstairs and just sit quietly thinking.. And then it was time to send them to tuition.. But my mom says she's going to go so I let her.. at 8pm my dad called me and asked me to put a different lock on the gates at the back since my maid took the back way to leave.. and left with the keys earlier.. We were afraid she or her companion might duplicate it and attempt to enter the house.. It took such a long time! at 9 my mom asked me to accompany her to pick my bro and sis.. I went.. And after that, no one once spoke of my maid..

I know you all must think I must be heartless because everyone is so sad that my maid is gone.. I'm the person with heart of stone.. Thats not true.. Here's my side..

After we got back from the Immigration Office and lunch, I prayed and then I took a nap from 2pm till 4.30pm.. Then, my cousin sent me a text and I called her.. I cried.. after a month of not crying.. I cried.. Because, I'm close to her too, she's like part of the family now.. And I can't cry in front of everyone because I'll seem weak... I went into her room and realized that she took everything that belongs to her only... Everything that we gave her as a gift, everything we bought for her, she left it here.. It's like she doesn't want to remember us anymore... I gave her, my pink mirror and comb set because I know she'll like it.. and she left it.. TT__TT
Just now, at 11 pm I realized that the my com place is messy and I decide to wash the dishes and cups i washed.. and then, I saw the cup i used last night before I went to bed.. I cried again...I knew, she washed the cups before she left.. She did her last chore before she left in the morning.. And the last person who saw her this morning was my brother..
If only I woke up early and sat down here.. I would have been able to stop her... In fact I'm crying right now...

Aunty Kurnia, balik la..kitorang tak nak aunty pergi.. Let us return you the way you came.. We'll send you to the airport and see you fly off.. Please return home, :(

Please.. I miss talking to you....

Amy Ramli,
Signing off

Comments

Popular Posts